Karmanos Cancer Institute
4100 John R
Hudson-Webber Cancer Research Center
Mail Code: HW05AO
Detroit, MI 48201
(1988) Ph.D. Chemistry, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ
(1981) B.S. Chemistry, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, People's Republic of China
(1988-1993) Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
(2010-Present) Professor, Department of Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
(2009-Present) Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
(2003-Present) Professor, Department of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
(2000-2003) Associate Professor, Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, University of SouthFloridaCollege of Medicine, Tampa, FL
(1998-2003) Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL
(1993-1998) Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, University of PittsburghSchool of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
Hospital or Other Professional Appointments
(2012-Present) Scientific Member, Molecular Therapeutics Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI
(2010-2011) Co-Program Leader and Scientific Member, Developmental Therapeutics Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI
(2003-2010) Co-Program Leader and Scientific Member, Population Studies and Prevention Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI
(1998-2003) Member in Residence (Scientific Member), Drug Discovery Program, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL
(1993-1998) Member, Experimental Therapeutic Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA
American Association for Cancer Research, Inc.
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
American Chemistry Society
(2007) WayneStateUniversitySchool of Medicine Research Excellence Award Nominee
(2006) Karmanos Cancer Center Director's Award (for the article published by Yang HJ, Chen D, Cui QC, Yuan X, and Dou QP in Cancer Research 66, 4758-4765, 2006).
(2000) Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute Director's Award (for the article published by Li B and Dou QP in Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2000; 97:3850-3855)
CB 7210: Fundamentals of Cancer Biology
CB 7460: Mechanisms of Neoplasia: Alterations to Cellular Signaling
CB 7700: Cancer Biology Journal Club
CB 7890: Cancer Biology Student Seminars
1. Schmitt SM, Neslund-Dudas C, Shen M, Cui QZ, Mitro B, and Dou QP. Involvement of ALAD-20S Proteasome Complexes in Ubiquitination and Acetylation of Proteasomal α2 Subunits. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry (2014 Impact Factor 3.368). 2016 Jan;117(1):144-51. doi: 10.1002/jcb.25259. (first published: 19 November 2015) doi: 10.1002/jcb.25259.
2. Deshmukh RR, Dou QP. Proteasome inhibitors induce AMPK activation via CaMKKβ in human breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. (2014 Impact Factor 3.940) 2015 Aug;153(1):79-88. doi: 10.1007/s10549-015-3512-2. Epub 2015 Jul 31.
3. Lu L, Shi W, Deshmukh RR, Long J, Cheng X, Ji W, Zeng G, Chen X, Zhang Y, Dou QP. Tumor necrosis factor-α sensitizes breast cancer cells to natural products with proteasome-inhibitory activity leading to apoptosis. PLoS ONE (IF 4.537). 2014 Nov 24;9(11):e113783. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113783. eCollection 2014.
4. Nardon C, Schmitt SM, Yang H, Zuo J, Fregona, Dou QP. Gold(III)-dithiocarbamato Peptidomimetics in the Forefront of the TargetedAnticancer Therapy: Preclinical Studies against Human Breast Neoplasia. PLoS ONE (IF 4.537). 2014 Jan 2;9(1):e84248. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0084248. eCollection 2014
5. Shen M, Zhang Z, Ratnam M, Dou QP. The Interplay of AMP-activated Protein Kinase and Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer Cells. Journal of Cellular Physiology (Rapid Communications) (IF 4.257), 2014 Jun;229(6):688-95. doi: 10.1002/jcp.24494
6. Buac D, Kona FR, Seth AK, Dou QP. Regulation of Metformin Response by Breast Cancer Associated Gene 2 (BCA2). Neoplasia (IF 5.470), 2013; 15: 1379-1390
7. Li X, Liu S, Huang H, Liu N, Zhao C, Liao S, Yang C, Liu Y, Zhao C, Li S, Lu X, Liu C, Guan S, Zhao K, Shi X, Song W, Zhou P, Dong X, Guo H, Wen G, Zhang C, Jiang L, Ma N, Li B, Wang S, Tan H, Wang X, Dou QP (co-corresponding author) and Liu J (co-corresponding author).Gambogic Acid is a Tissue-Specific Proteasome Inhibitor in vitro and in vivo. Cell Reports (a new open-access, online-only journal from Cell Press). 2013 Jan 31;3(1):211-22. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2012.11.023
8. Frezza M, Dou QP* (Co-corresponding author), Xiao Y, Samouei H, Rashidi M*, Samari F, Hemmateenejad F* (Co-corresponding author). In vitro and In vivo Anti-tumor Activities and DNA Binding Mode of Five Coordinated Cyclometallated Organoplatinum(II) Complexes Containing Biphosphine Ligands. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (IF 5.248), 2011 Sep 22;54(18):6166-76. Epub 2011 Aug 24.
9. Dou QP. Proteasome inhibition and cancer therapy. Poster Review. Nature Reviews Cancer (2010 Impact Factor 37.178), the December issue of 2011.http://www.nature.com/nrc/posters/proteasome/proteasome_poster.pdf
10. Milacic V and Dou QP. The tumor proteasome as a novel target for gold(III) compounds: implications in breast cancer therapy (invited review). Coordination Chemistry Reviews (Impact Factor 10.566), 2009; 253:1649-1660.